I put 10 coats of 1 pound cut shellac on some wood. It wasn’t as thick as I wanted. I tried dissolving some shellac in tung oil. The shellac got a little soft bit it didn’t dissolve for the most part, some pieces ended up sticking together. I added enough denatured alcohol (which I would replace with grain alcohol if I ended up using it) to dissolve the shellac flakes. I applied a couple coats to wood. It was a little thicker but it fisheyed. The shellac and tung oil didn’t mix. Maybe they’ll combine better if heated.

I’d like to not use tung oil because it takes two days between coats. I’ll try a thicker cut of shellac next.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s